Chester No 5
The next in the sequence of Chester's signal boxes is Chester No 5, located on the Birkenhead line at the point where the avoiding lines from Chester No 6 joined. This box was not of LNWR design, being built by contractors in 1874 on behalf of the GWR and LNWR who jointly owned the line to Birkenhead. It was extended twice (in 1908 and 1915) and taken out of use in the 1980s.
25057 runs through the depot sidings past Chester No 5 signalbox on the 19th August 1977. To the right, the double track avaoinfing line curves round to Chester No 6, with the Holyhead line completing the triangle in the background. Beyond, is the large shed of Chester Wagon Works.
North of the signal box, the line was crossed by the CLC line, and by Brook Lane, before continuing to Hooton and Birkenhead (Rock Ferry). Looking north from the road bridge we see 24063 in the loop having run round the 18:10 Croes Newydd to Mold Jcn and 24091, which has come off the depot and is reversing to run light-engine, also to Mold Jcn. The line on the far right is the headshunt for the depot. Of interest is the complex pointwork here - the use of a double slip point in a running line being rather unusual.
Photographs of the visit of 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley in Octber 1977 appear on many of the Chester pages. Here it sits in the depot headshunt, north of Brook Lane, awaiting a path into the station. Alongside, a 4-car DMU formation from Rock Ferry, headed by a Park Royal set, has priority. Waiting for both the others to leave, a Metro Cammell set waits to reverse into the depot.