Llandudno Jcn - Semaphore Signals II
More pictures of the semaphore signals at Llandudno Junction.
Here are all the signals that controlled departure from the east end of the station. The signal nearest the camera and the one on the extreme left controlled the goods loop. The large overhanging one controlled departures from platform 1 - previously it had had 3 short arms, but now there was only one route out. To its right is the signal controlling platform 2 and the divergence of the Blaenau branch, and in the distance is the advance starter controlling the section to Colwyn Bay. (28th July 1980)
Viewed from the west end of Platform 2, we see the equivalent 'down' signals. We're going to zoom in for more details.
Firstly, on the left is the Platform 3 starter. On the right is the yet to be comissioned colur-light replacement, complete with 'feather' for the junction with the Llandudno branch. Between and in the background can be seen the semaphore signal controlling the junction. Also visible are 2 ground signals. The first controls access from the yard and depot to the main line. The second, at the foot of the junction signal, controls access from the main line to the Quay sidings. (24th August 1980)
On the right is the Platform 2 starter, with its replacement behind. To the left (although actually situated to to the right) is the bracket signal controlling the exit from the bay platform, and allowing access to the mainline or the Llandudno branch. At its foot is a ground signal allowing shunting moves. (24th August 1980)
Built in the 1890's when the station at Llandudno Junction was relocated and expanded, this was a London and North Western Railway standard size 'T' signal box. Originally 80'4½" long, it was extended by a further 7'9" in 1923 and had 150 levers. It was one of three signal boxes in use at the time at the Junction, and was numbered No 2.
In front of this triumph of Victorian design (described in one book as "one of the most successful applications of prefabricated building techniques ever"), there lurks its nemesis. This is the base of what was to become the new Llandudno Junction signalbox. Interestingly, it was originally constructed as a relay room, complete with flat roof, with the upper storey being added later - possibly when it was realised that the new road bridge would restrict the view of the station. The new box has one claim to fame - it has become the last of the London Midland Region standard type of signal boxes to be built. December 1979.